international fonts and character encodings

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 07:58:37 GMT 2004

James,

One of the gotchas with truetype fonts is that a special program has to be
used to generate fonts.dir.  It is 'mkttfdir' .  Once this is done, the
resulting 'fonts.dir' has to be copied to 'fonts.scale' in the same
directory.

The older Red Hat distros had an excellent init script kept in
/etc/rc.d/init.d that automatically updated all font directories on startup
if needed.

You produced a whole load of fonts encoded 10646-1.  My guess for Arabic - and
other languages using the Arabic alphabet - would be that the encoding should
be 10646-6. But perhaps others could check this out.