how to make KDE faster?

corey_s at cox.net corey_s at cox.net
Wed Feb 25 12:04:28 GMT 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 01:18:53AM +0530, Zabil Maliackal wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 February 2004 12:34 am, corey_s at cox.net wrote:
<snip>
> >   Anyone tried prelinking yet?
>
> Fedora Core 1 already comes configured with prelink.
> I am not sure though if prelink has to be re-run when Kde is upgraded.

  Yup - anytime you upgrade/re-install, you'll need to run prelink again.

  To be safe, run it like so:  'prelink -vaf'

OPTIONS
       -v --verbose
              Verbose mode.  Print the  virtual  address  slot  assignment  to
              libraries  and  print  what binary or library is currently being
              prelinked.

      -a --all
              Prelink all binaries and dependant libraries found in  directory
              hierarchies specified in /etc/prelink.conf.  Normally only bina-
              ries specified from command line and their  dependant  libraries
              are prelinked.

      -f --force
              Force re-prelinking even for already prelinked objects for which
              no dependencies changed. This option causes new virtual  address
              space  slots  to  be  assigned to all libraries.  Normally, only
              binaries or libraries which are either  not  prelinked  yet,  or
              some of their dependencies changed, are prelinked.

> when i try prelink in the kde directory it tell's me that preink information
> is already there in the cache.

  Do you have an /etc/prelink.conf?

  Here's an example:

-l /bin
-l /sbin
-l /usr/bin
-l /usr/sbin
-l /lib
-l /usr/lib
-h /opt/sun-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre/lib
-h /usr/X11R6/lib
-h /usr/games/lib
-h /usr/kde/3.2/lib
-h /usr/lib/fltk-1.1
-h /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2
-h /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.3
-h /usr/lib/opengl/ati/lib
-h /usr/local/lib
-h /usr/qt/3/lib
-h /usr/local/bin