international fonts and character encodings

Christopher Marshall christopherlmarshall at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 15:48:17 GMT 2004

I am trying to use KDE with farsi fonts and characters.  I am using KDE 3.1.

I've had some luck with kwrite and I am wondering how to get other KDE applications to let me type
in farsi and have the characters displayed correctly.

Here's what I've done / figured out so far.

I installed the kde farsi i18n package and went to the control center->regional &
accessibility->keyboard layout section and enabled the farsi keymap as an additional keymap I can
choose at the application level.

I now have an American flag (close to the clock in the lower right hand corner of the screen)
which changes to an Iranian flag when I click on it.

If I am in kwrite, and I toggle the keyboard to farsi and start typing, all I get are boxes for
characters, which I take to be place holders for missing fonts.

It seems that kwrite lets you set the character encoding explicitly to utf16, utf8, and quite a
few other choices as well.  By setting the character encoding to utf16 and looking at a hex dump
of the output, I can tell that the farsi keyboard layout is working because characters in the 0600
to 06ff range (the unicode range reserved for Arabic characters) are being put in the document
when I type.

The characters I type, though, are written left to right in kwrite and not right to left.  Is
there a way to fix that?

Can anyone advise me on how to get farsi the correct farsi/arabic fonts recognized in KDE?

Chris Marshall