how to make KDE faster?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Wed Feb 25 02:23:36 GMT 2004

On February 20, 2004 12:43 pm, Alexander H.M. Ruoff wrote:
> That's sound strange because it took me about 1 hour to install FC1 on
> my Laptop and I was basically new to Linux (had FC1 on my desktop at

I know, it does sound strange, but the reason reveals a good lesson about
linux and computers in general.

I too have found that the installation for linux is DEAD simple and I've done
it many times over the years, mostly with Red Hat, but also with a few other
distros. For at least a few years, maybe more, it's been at least as easy to
install Linux as it is to install Windows.

HOWEVER, when I tried to get FC1 running I ran into a strange problem: my NIC
would not work. It worked fine in Win2k and, as far as I remember, it worked
fine in OS/2 and up to at least RH7.x.

What was the problem? I'll never know. I eventually bought a new NIC and boom!
things started working. Maybe it was old corroded contacts, maybe it was a
fouled up driver, who knows? It seemed incomprehensible that it worked in
Windows, but was just dead in linux. Which made finishing the install pretty
hard since my NIC was my connection to my ADSL "modem" and without it I had
no 'net connection and had to keep booting to Windows, posting messages,
reading answers, booting to linux, trying the suggestions, copying the
results, booting to windows, etc... It was a MASSIVE pain and no one anywhere
could figure out what was wrong.

In fact, it was just out of desperation (and since they are so cheap) that,
almost a week into the attempted install I bought a new NIC. I had no real
hope that this would fix anything but I had nothing to lose at that point.
Luckily it did solve the problem.

The moral is though, you can NOT predict what will go wrong with computers,
nor why it will. Expecting that things will go off without a hitch -- even
when they have done so for years -- is foolish.

So, am I eager to try compiling the entire KDE desktop environment when I've
never compiled anything over a few hundred lines of code, which I've written
myself? DEFINITELY NOT! The potential for something going wrong is infinitely
beyond what I could hope to cope with, as would be the case for any
non-super-user.

 Trevor Smith    |    trevor at haligonian.com