Writing in Arabic under KDE

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 22:47:28 GMT 2004

I am not an Arabic speaker, but I have set up KDE in Arabic and Farsi for a
Kurdish friend.

Firstly I presume that you are using KDE 3.1.x.  You must download Arabic
support (the file is kde-3.1.1/kde3-i18n-ar-3.1.3-0.noarch.rpm obtainable
from www.kde.org). I used the Mandrake packages, which also loads Arabic
locales.

Secondly, you must choose fonts that contain Arabic letters.  The Microsoft
Arial, Times ttfs do.  The Nimbus fonts that come with Mandrake 9.2 also
work. You must set the fonts in the applications that you intend to use.
Here are some embedded Arabic letters ط ك م ن ت ا ل ب ي س ش .

Finally, before you can start, you must go into the Control Panel,
Accessibility / Region and Language and add Arabic to the languages
available.  Then go to Accessibility / Keyboard Layout. Enable keyboard
layouts, and select Arabic in Additional Layouts. A little flag will appear
in the system tray in the panel.  Click on this flag and the layouts will
change automagically.

Open Office works perfectly in Arabic.

Hope this helps

Basil Fowler