how to make KDE faster?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Thu Feb 19 15:52:14 GMT 2004

Now that I've upgraded to the latest KDE and have been using FC1 for a while
I'm ready to start trying to make it faster.

I have 384meg of ram on an older computer (PIII 500) and Win2kPro, which is a
huge pig if run in less RAM, is VERY snappy. KDE, however, is not. For
example, double-clicking on my home directory icon on the desktop takes
between 1 and 3 seconds to open it. On Win2k this action would be
instantaneous. (There are 14 visible items in the directory; file previews
are turned OFF.)

Opening a Konsole window produces the same results (2 - 3 or even more seconds
delay before it is open).

This is not an issue of disk drive access, KDE just seems "sluggish".

Is this something that can be fixed? Is it something I can fix now? Or does it
simply require more / faster/ newer hardware / resources?

Or can it never be "fixed"? Is it, in fact, just the nature of the code that
KDE will never "pop open" windows as quickly as Win2kPro does?

It's frustrating when I occasionally boot back to Win2k and see how "snappy"
my system responds compared to what I'm forced to deal with on a regular
basis with FC1 + KDE. I'll buy a new computer, if that is what it will take,
but please tell me that there is *some* way to make a KDE desktop behave the
way a computer *should* in the 21st century! :-)

 Trevor Smith    |    trevor at haligonian.com