kweather has problems querying the reqested station

Jan Drugowitsch jdrugo at gmx.at
Wed Feb 18 10:38:24 GMT 2004

Hi everyone,

I've recently updated to KDE 3.2 (Gentoo). Since then, kweather doesn't seem
to work properly anymore. The station I'm requesting info from is
'EEGL' (London / Heathrow) but I always get the error message

"The requested station does not exist!"

and the kweather applet icon shows the question mark. If, however, I click on
the applet directly if get a report with all the correct information from
EEGL.

Doing a little network sniffing it shows that kweather polls weather.noaa.gov
with .../stations/EGLL.TXT correctly, however, setting the
'If-Modified-Since' flag in the HTTP query. That results in a '304 Not
Modified' response. Afterwards it polls ...stations/NONE.TXT and receives
'404 Not Found', causing the above error message.

Clicking on the applet doesn't cause any network traffic but shows the correct
weather report in the status dialog. Hence, it is obvious that the applet
already has the correct information and just doesn't show it.

I haven't found any bug report about that, yet. Has anyone encountered
anything similar?

TIA, Jan