KDE 3.2 and GDM on Fedora Core 1

Nikos Kanellopoulos nkan at panafonet.gr
Tue Feb 17 23:36:32 GMT 2004

Hello everybody.

I have built KDE 3.2 and now it resides in my /opt/kde32 directory.
However after extensive grepping in /etc, I haven't discovered the
way to add a session to the GDM login manager, so that I can login.

Please note that I have compiled and installed myself most versions
of KDE since 2.0. But the distribution vendors are making things
trickier with every new version they put out.

So, does anybody know how to fix that in Fedora?

It seems that GDM passes the selected session type as an
argument to /etc/X11/Xsession, which in turns executes a script:
[from /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession]

    case "$1" in
    failsafe)
       exec -l $SHELL -c "xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0"
       ;;
    gnome)
       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT gnome-session"
       ;;
    kde|kde1|kde2)
       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.kde32"
       ;;
    kde32)
        exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT
/usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.kde32"
       ;;
    twm)
        # fall back to twm
       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.twm"
       ;;

But how does one a session to the menu that is presented to the user?
I added the kde32 case. I even modified the kde case to start KDE 3.2.
Nothing.

--
Nikos Kanellopoulos
www.astraka.net