ksysguardd without X

Jan Drugowitsch jdrugo at gmx.at
Thu Feb 12 22:03:05 GMT 2004

> Jan Drugowitsch wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > is it possible to build ksysguardd from kdebase without having any
> > graphical libraries (e.g. X, Qt) installed?
> > What I want to do is to do is to run ksysguardd on a server to be able to
> > remotely display its status using another client. I know that there's a
> > separate ksysguardd rpm in the SuSE distro but my server runs some sort
> > of a Linux from Scratch and so I doubt that I can make any use of it. Any
> > Ideas?
>
> I don't think so.
>
> You said that you would be using a client.  If that client is an X client,
> then you are going to have to install the X server on the server side since
> it is on the server side that the screen image is actually generated
> (except for client side fonts).

The client will be running KDE, the server doesn't have any GUI. Hence,
ksysguard will run on the client, ksysguardd on the server. As far as i can
imaging it should be possible as all libraries ksysguardd links to are
availabe on the server.

jdrugo at jan /usr/kde/3.1/bin $ ldd ksysguardd
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libsensors.so.2 => /usr/lib/libsensors.so.2 (0x40029000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40055000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x40187000)

The only problem is to get the ./configure script create the Makefiles as this
requires the X libraries. Accoring to the ksysguardd documentation in the
kdebase source tree (kdebase-x.x.x/ksysguard/ksysguardd/Porting-HOWTO),
ksysguard sends commands and ksysguardd answers them. I don't see any need
for an X server on the server side.

Does anyone definitely know that it's NOT possible?

TIA,
Jan