Newbe with question about xdmcp

Ben Clewett Ben.Clewett at roadrunner.uk.com
Thu Feb 12 12:37:23 GMT 2004

Kevin Kramer wrote:

> On Thursday 12 February 2004 10:01, Ben Clewett wrote:
>>  Now I get another cryptic few error messages:
>>
>>Feb 12 08:19:03 kdm_config[26231]: Can't read from core
>>Feb 12 08:19:06 kernel: mtrr: 0xd0000000,0x2000000 overlaps existing
>>0xd0000000,0x1000000
>>Feb 12 08:20:33 kdm[26264]: server open failed for 0.0.0.0:0, giving up
>>Feb 12 08:20:33 kdm[26240]: Display 0.0.0.0:0 cannot be opened
>>
>>The main screen still works, this is the responce from a foreign request
>>to start KDE.
>>
>>Would this mean anything to you?

> 0.0.0.0 looks wrong.
> This is not a valid IP host address, it means "all networks".
> Perhaps the remote X Server is not sending its IP address properly.
> Try setting DISPLAY on the remote host before starting the XServer with XMDCP
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Odd.  I start it using the CygWin DOS command:

start Win -query %KDE_HOST% -no decoration -less pointer -ftp
tsp/%KDE_HOST%:7100

Which has always just worked.  Which is why I liked it so much.

But 0.0.0.0:0 can also mean NULL, as in an uninitialised variable.  As
in the previous comment 'kdm_config[26231]: Can't read from core'.

If there is nothing obvious, I might have to leave it there, maybe wait
until SuSE have released the next version of KDE.

I did notice that 'xdmcp' was hard to configure.  Had to be completed by
hand.  Setting up font servers, dabbling into very confusing security
protocols, sometimes getting KDE applications starting on the wrong desktop.

Do you know whether future KDE models might have a more robust mechanism
set up for xdmcp?

Thanks for the suggestions,

Ben.