Konsole

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Feb 7 21:06:17 GMT 2004

Gus Tabares wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just recently upgraded to KDE 3.2. Compliments to the KDE team for a job
> well done. My only problem is when I start Konsole. I no longer receive my
> normal PS1-defined prompt but instead a bash-2.05b$ prompt. Also, all of my
> command line aliases are no longer defined. I'm running Slackware 9.1, any
> help is appreciated.

The problem is probably that when you start KDE with KDM (GUI login) that
the: "Xsession" script is not running these two scripts:

	/etc/profile
	$HOME/.bash_profile

{some systems use: $HOME/.profile} for the second one.

I do this by making the: "Xsession" file a login script.  The first line is:

	#!/bin/bash --login

or the: "Xsession" script can explicitly source the two configuration files.

Note that some setups have an: "Xsession" script:

	$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xsession

that does nothing but source the system: "Xsession" script which is normally:

	/etc/X11/Xsession

If that is the case, the first one needs to be the login script.

It is also possible that after an upgrade that you have an extra:
"Xsession" script that is causing the problem.

--
JRT