Configuring LexmarkZ35

Stephan Matthiesen stephan at met.ed.ac.uk
Sat Feb 7 18:35:37 GMT 2004

Hi

Am Samstag, 7. Februar 2004 17:40 schrieb Chiheb Djabri:
> I tryin' to configure my printer using KDEprint . I have Lexmark Z35 and
> the driver does not figure in the list of printers in Mandrake Control
> Center, So I installed the driver from Lexmark site
> /usr/local/lexmark/z35..
> What do I have to do?

I have a Lexmark Z25 (same driver) using Fedora. It was a bit tricky...

I don't know about Mandrake and your system, but one common difficulty with
Lexmark is the following: The normal, widely distributed Lexmark driver is
for the LPR print system, but this is outdated, and CUPS is now often the
standard. There is also a CUPS driver on the Lexmark webpage, but that is
really difficult to find (it has been there for only a few months).

So the first question is: Is you print system LPR or CUPS? You can find out by
going into the printer configuration in the control center, and at the bottom
there is a selection with the current print system.

Second question: Which Lexmark driver do you use? Was the downloaded file
named CJLZ35LE-xxx.TAR.gz or CJLZ35LE-CUPS-xxx.TAR.gz?

If you use CUPS but have the LPR driver, then look again at the Lexmark site
until you find the CUPS driver. I can't remember where it was, I think it was
NOT under the "driver" section, but under "support", and only on the North
American site, not the European ones...

There should be two versions:
CJLZ35LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz
CJLZ35LE-CUPS-2.0-1.TAR.GZ

The second (2.0) didn't work at all (but perhaps they've changed it).

The first one (1.0) was absolutely painless: Unzip&untar, then run the
installation programme, and that's it. The printer should now appear in all
the print dialogues, and it should show up in the printer configuration.

If your print system is LPR, then I can't remember how to set it up, sorry....

I don't know if that helps... If not, can you give perhaps more details?

Cheers
Stephan