KMail again

Michael Andreen whale at linux.nu
Sat Feb 7 03:41:17 GMT 2004

On Saturday 07 February 2004 03.11, Robin Rosenberg wrote:
> I'm trying to learn the KMail shortcuts, but I'm not very successful. One
> approach is to think "KMail has its own standard", don't use the keyboard.
> I'm not successful there. I still believe I can use the keyboard in a
> productive manner.

If it's one thing I love about KMail, it's the keyboard navigation. ;)

> The main concepts in KMail is the mail itself and the list of mails. Now
> when I select a mail folder KMail often centers on a mail in the middle of
> the list (perhaps the last viewed mail, I dont't know; anyway it's not the

With imap kmail jumps to the first mail in the list if the option to jump to
the first unread mail isn't set in the setup. I'm not sure how it works on
local mailboxes.

> first and usually not the one I'm looking for). Now the "logical" (in my
> twisted mind) action is to press "Home" and focus on the first mail;
> nothing happens. Ctrl-Home then; (nothing happen), Arrow up (nothing

I don't think there is a shortcut for move to top.

> happens, getting desperate now), 'P' as i previous (still nothing happens;
> getting really desperate now).

P (at least under kde 3.2) and left arrow are used to move to the previous
message.

N and right arrow are used for next message.

> Quick, what could help. Pressing the '-' key. Focus shifts to the last mail
> (eh, what?).

'-' is used to go to the previous unread mail, if there are no unread mails
above it will work according to what the settings says, which in your case
probably means go to bottom and start from there.

'+' does the same, but in the other direction.

The above (also arrow right/left) works on folders if you have ctrl pressed
down.

> I wish I could learn that KMail has its own "effiecient" key bindings. :-(
> -- robin
A good idea is to read the keyboard bindings under Settings->Configure
Shortcuts...

/Michael Andreen