KMail key binding and the User Interface Guidelines

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Mon Feb 2 01:57:42 GMT 2004

On Monday 02 February 2004 02:32, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Monday 02 February 2004 01:31, Henrique Pinto wrote:
> Sticking to the guidelines are the far easiest way to go, and protects us
> from "run a way" hackers.. The result when only looking at KDE is very
> nice, but with a touch of "screw everyone else". In either case, it's about
> compromise.

Wait. This is yet another issue, among selecting default values and what to
have in our modules, which really has to do with agreeing on what KDE's
userbase will look like and where KDE is heading. Agreeing on who KDE targets
and what it aims to become.
For example, we could just end this discussion with reminding people that in
the near future, as in "2004", KDE as the rest of open source will have its
userbase multiplied, most likely doubling the current amount, and those new
users will come from developing countries where no previous computer
experience exist and any consistency with non-kde apps is thus moot, because
there is nothing else than KDE. Thus, sticking to guidelines should be
chosen.

(I don't know the specific reasons to why KMail doesn't follow guidelines -
why it is an exception)

			Frans