help: KDE apps can't play ogg files

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sun Feb 1 17:56:46 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am using KDE HEAD compiled a few days ago, on Gentoo.

Yesterday, I updated libvorbis, libao, and vorbis-tools.  Since then,
KDE apps which use arts cannot play ogg files.  KDE apps which do not
use arts (kaffeine, kmplayer) play ogg files fine.

When I try to preview an ogg file in konqueror with the "embedded media
player", the status bar says "arts could not open this file.

However, I can use "artsplay" from the command line to succesfully play
these files.  Why can arts by itself play the file, but not through a
KDE app?

I have tried updating arts and kdemultimedia; no luck.

Any ideas?
Jason
--
KStars: A KDE Planetarium