Problem printing certain eps graphics

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Dec 24 10:44:58 GMT 2004

Greetings to all.

I prepared a document using the LaTeX / LyX combination containing some
graphics in encapsulated PostScript format. The resulting .dvi file displayed
perfectly in kdvi and xdvi.

Weh I tried to print the document from LyX onto a Brother HL 5150D PostScript
printer, the printing process came to a halt during the printing of a certain
graphic with the following error message on the printed page:

ERROR NAME;
undefined COMMAND;
#uu^qdh
OPERAND STACK;

The string '#uu^qdh' is a sequence within the encapsulated PostScript of the
graphic.

If I exported to a .ps file, displayed it on gv (which displayed it
perfectly), then tried to print from gv, the same errror occurred.

The document printed correctly on a HP 690C.

My version of KDE is 3.3.1.

Further diagnostics:

I took the graphic causing problems and tried to print it separately.  I
opened the graphic in GIMP 1.2 (the program used to produce the eps file
originally). I then printed it directly to the Brother. Everything OK.  I
then saved it to .eps and used kprinter to print the .eps file.

Kprinter gave the following warning:

"The file format image/x-eps is not directly supported by the current print
system. KDE can try to convert this file automatically to a supported format.
But you can still try to send the file to the printer without any conversion.
Do you want KDE to try to convert this file to application/postscript?"

On giving the answer 'yes', the file was sent to the printer and it stopped at
the point cited above.

Can anyone explain what is going on?

Merry Christmas to all!

Basil Fowler