web folder won't go to the right place anymore

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Sat Dec 18 04:38:12 GMT 2004

I switched web hosting providers and I can no longer get to my "web site" via
ftp in a KDE folder/window.

For example, previously I could open a folder/window on my desktop, type in
ftp://www.haligonian.com/ in the location field and it would open KWallet and
read my username/password out of that and log me in.

Now, however, it sends me to the public FTP server at haligonian.com. The
result is the same whether I try ftp://www.haligonian.com/ or
ftp://haligonian.com/ -- I always get logged into the FTP site, and I can not
get access to the WWW directories.

Note that if I use a terminal and type:

ftp www.haligonian.com
or
ftp haligonian.com

I get a login prompt, I enter my username and password and I *DO* get access
to the WWW directories. No matter which URL I use from a terminal, it works
as it should. No matter which URL I use from a KDE window, it will get me
nowhere except the public FTP server.

On another site I maintain, www.nshrf.ca, KDE's folders' location bar *DOES*
work properly. I can log into that site and get to
the /home/nshrf/public_html directory from KDE's folder.

Any ideas? How can terminal ftp get me to the right place but KDE's window
takes me somewhere else?
Trevor Smith | trevor at haligonian.com
public key   | http://www.haligonian.com/pgp/