KDE applications oppening urls in cache

Christian Mueller cmueller at gmx.de
Sun Dec 12 07:45:20 GMT 2004

Am Montag, 13. Dezember 2004 02:02 schrieb Divided By 0:
> Hi,
>
> I'm relatively new to linux and KDE and I have this problem: Whenever I
> click on a url link in a KDE application (like help or KNewsTicker),
> instead of oppening the link in my browser, kde downloads the page as an
> archive and then directs my browser to that localy saved file. As a
> result, the page format is destroyed, images are not dispayed and I
> cannot follow any links.
> I tried disabling the cache in the KDE control center but it didn't help.
> I'm also using Firefox as a browser and I've already changed the default
> browser. (in the specific page and in the file associations page) I'm
> using Fedora Core 3

It's not the cache that is the problem here, KDE seems to think
that firefox cannot handle URLs itself so it downloads the file.

Look for a file called mozilla-firefox.desktop, firefox.desktop or
something like that.  In that file, look for the Exec line.
If it is
Exec=firefox
or
Exec=firefox %f
then you have found the source of the problem. Change it to
Exec=firefox %u

Christian.