The Integrated Desktop

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Dec 8 05:50:38 GMT 2004

David P James wrote:
> On Tue 7 December 2004 14:55, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Although Konqueror has many features including the possibility of
>>total integration, there are problems with KHTML.  Gecko is simply
>>much better at displaying non-standards compliant web sites than
>>KHTML.
>

> Really? My experience is that of "it depends". Some non-standard sites
> choke KHTML but Gecko displays them whilst others choke Gecko but KHTML
> displays them. Still others choke both but Opera succeeds and others
> still choke all 3.

I do not doubt the accuracy of your experience.  But, what I state is accepted
as true even if it isn't always correct.  Business customers still accept this
as the common wisdom so if it is no longer true, we need to change opinion as
much as we need to change the software.

Since I prefer Konqueror, I am not going to be finding sites that work on
Konqueror and not on FireFox -- I always use Konqueror first (unless opening
links from e-mail), if it doesn't work I use FireFox and in the rare case that
it doesn't work either I open IE 6.0 with CrossOver.  When I never have to use
something besides Konqueror, I will be pleased.   IIUC, in the near future, I
will not have to open FireFox, but rather can simply change to the Gecko KPart
when KHTML doesn't render a site correctly.  I will be happy to see that too.

If only everyone would make their web site conform to the W3C standards, I would
be *really* happy.

--
JRT