The Integrated Desktop

J Hall canllaith at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 01:23:10 GMT 2004

>> KDE is an amazing desktop environment, but of the applications that i
>> use most, none of the packaged KDE programs are really the best of breed.

>> KOffice < OpenOffice
>> KMail < Thunderbird
>> Konquerer < Firefox
>> Noatun < Juk
>> Kopete < gaim

snip

>> imagine what could be achieved if KDE, OpenOffice and the Mozilla
>> project joined forces...

>> cheers

>> iain

I'm afraid I'm not seeing a very convincing argument as to why all these KDE
applications are inferior. I use Kmail, Konqueror, and Kopete because they
have features I use that the other applications you have listed don't. To
simply say, Kopete < Gaim is not enough. Many would disagree with you and
you're not giving any valid reasons why. Can you so easily quantify the
usefulness of an application to the community in general? I do not believe
so.  KDE is shaped by what the community wants and needs, and if you want
your voice to be heard a more compelling argument is required.

On another note, have you had a look at kde.openoffice.org ?

J L Hall

--
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things.