kmix shortcuts for internet keyboard

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Aug 27 17:09:40 BST 2004

Richard Taylor wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am a little confused by a problem I have with my Microsoft Internet Keyboard
> and the volume control keys.
>
> The volume control keys control kmix, although I have not done anything in
> KHotkeys to enable this. The trouble is that adjusting the volume in kmix
> makes no difference to the loudnest that comes out the speakers.
>
> As I was unable to work out why kmix did not control the sound card volume
> correctly I decided to map the volume keys to amarok volume control.
> Unfortunately it appears that something grabs the volume keys and maps them
> to kmix before KHotkeys gets them.
>
> So...
>
> Does anyone know why kmix does not like my sound card? or how I can stop kmix
> nicking the volume keys before KHotKeys can tranlate them into dcop calls to
> amarok?

I don't know, but we can try to trouble shoot this.

Do you have ALSA installed?  If so, you should have a text mode mixer:
"alsamixer".  Open a Konsole and run this, and see if it works.  If it doesn't,
you have probably a soundcard configuration issue.  If it works, I suggest that
you close your KDE session and delete from the console the files:
"$HOME/.kde/share/config/kmixrc*", restart KDE and see if it is fixed.

--
JRT