konstruct, nother problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Aug 24 03:46:33 BST 2004

Greetings;

Trying, so far unsuccessfully, to build kde 3.3 with konstruct.

I got past the ogg stuff, thanks to Tami, but now its making something
in the general area of libsmoke, and cc1plus is going absolutely
berzerkers, eating memory at about 1 meg every 2 seconds.  This
forces me into the swap about 2 minutes after I restart the make, and
in 30 minutes its into swap over 500 megs and unusable, as in the x
corner clock stops, and it may take 10 minutes for a
ctl-alt-backspace to be recognized.

Stopping x, and doing a 'swapoff -a;swapon -a' pretty much cleans the
system up, but even without x running, doing the make in konstruct
starts grabbing sawp in about 2 minutes, with top showing cc1plus as
using >40%, and it has shown as much as 87%, of a half gig of ram
system.

Has anyone else seen this effect?  BTW, kernel is 2.6.8.1-mm4,
compiled for himem (4Gig) support but running on just one stick of
ram as I think one of them is flaky & I'm trying to figure out which
one.  I'll rebuild it without that just for grins, but somehow that
shoe doesn't fit IMO.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)