fam locking up and preventing logins

Nick THOMPSON nickthompson at agere.com
Fri Aug 20 14:02:53 BST 2004

On RHEL3, FAM is installed by default, so I didn't install anything in
this regard. I don't see any fam processes running by default, but a
process called fam (owned by the first user to login) seems to be
started by KDE(?) at login time.

I guess this is not the correct approach?

I have rebuilt KDE3.2.3, two days before 3.3 appeared :(, with libfam
disabled, which seems to avoid the problem. As most of our storage is on
remote NetApp filers, I guess there is little benefit in using FAM
anyway? (I'm guessing NetApp filers don't have remote FAM support)

Thanks,
Nick.