Still trying for "legacy-only" menus

Bryan K. Wright bryan at ayesha.phys.Virginia.EDU
Thu Aug 12 14:56:21 BST 2004

Hi folks,

	Thanks to James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> for pointing
me in the right direction.  His suggestion works fine.

	I was originally just replacing /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu.
Now that I've moved my configuration into:

	/etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/X11-legacy.menu

and substituted JRT's version of applications.menu, thing behave the
way I want them to.

	One caveat for others like me who are trying to do this:
if you copy any *.desktop files from FC2 into your "legacy" tree,
you'll need to edit out the "Categories" lines in the files,
otherwise the applications won't show up on the menu.

	Next up: trying to understand WHY it works....

							Thanks,
							Bryan

Bryan Wright                |"If you take cranberries and stew them like
Physics Department          | applesauce, they taste much more like prunes
University of Virginia      | than rhubarb does."  --  Groucho
Charlottesville, VA  22901  |
(434) 924-7218              |         bryan at virginia.edu