[suse-kde] kmenuedit woes

Jim MacLeod j75trym at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 09:16:08 BST 2004

On Tuesday 10 Aug 2004 08:16, Ti Kan wrote:
> SuSE 9.1 Pro with the stock KDE 3.2 here.
>
> I added more items to my K menu using the menu editor (kmenuedit).
> All seemed to work ok because the K menu does show what I added.
>
> However, now if I invoke the menu editor again to make additional changes,
> I can no longer get into some of the submenus.  Clicking the [+] box
> to expand that submenu just turns it into a [-] but it does not expand
> and show the subordinate contents.
>
> I looked around and found that the K menu is apparently defined in
> the ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu file, with additional
> definitions in the ~/.local/share/applications and
> ~/.local/share/desktop-directories directories of files.  The latter
> two looks reasonable and correct, but the first file looks really messy.
> Seems that each time I moved an item in kmenuedit from one place to
> another, deleted an entry, or some other operation it pollutes the
> menu definition with lots of <Moved>, <Exclude>, <Deleted>, <NotDeleted>
> and other garbage.  It looks really nasty.
>
> I saved a copy of the applications-kmenuedit.menu file and tried to
> "hand clean" it, and although I was able to get the K menu itself to
> look reasonable, kmenuedit still has trouble with it.
>
> After googling the web for solutions I came across suggestions about
> deleting the ~/.kde/tmp-hostname/ksycoca link, log out and let KDE
> regenerate them.  Tried that and it didn't make any difference.
>
> It seems that kmenuedit is just awfully broken.  Anyone else experiencing
> this?  Any wisdom about potential remedies?

I think 'edit' is a bit misleading - menus are built up using XML and so
deleting an item is more a case of <Exclude>whatever</Exclude> than actually
erasing.

Under opt/kde3/share/desktop-directories you'll find KDE's version (30+).
Under usr/share/desktop-directories is SuSE's version (130+).
These are all merged together to create the one menu that you see!!

I've now started amending the .desktop files for apps eg I installed Firefox
which, unaltered, is menu'ed under Applications. Edit the .desktop file and
add 'Categories=Network;X-SuSE-WebBrowser' and it appears in the right place,
the Network & X-SuSE.. being markers that sort the menu entry when it is
merged.

Kmenuedit isn't broken, it's just that what goes on 'underneath' is far more
involved than menus on other systems.

> -Ti
HTH
Jim