kmail - lastread

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Sun Aug 1 21:57:28 BST 2004

On Sunday 01 August 2004 04:17 pm, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday 01 August 2004 22:08, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > Where does kmail store its "lastread" pointers?
> >
> > I'm playing with a setup where I'm running KDE and using kmail on one
> > machine with the actual mail files living on another machine,  being
> > passed over by nfs.  There are a number of occasions where my lastread
> > pointers have gotten screwed up,  particularly in areas where there are a
> > lot of messages in a given folder.

> My guess is that this sort of information is stored in the index files of
> the mailboxes.

Ok,  I'll have a look at that...

> > I've managed to alleviate this to some extent by setting shorter expiry
> > times and expiring/compacting more often,  but it's starting to happen
> > again.
> >
> > Any hints as to how best to deal with this?

> Might be a problem with the clock skew between NFS server and client
> system. You could try to use ntpdate to synchronise both systems with the
> same reference time.

Well,  I'm not so sure.  Earlier today one area was showing me 155 new
messagses.  When I went in to the area it was sitting on one that was on
friday,  about 48 hours ago.  I got caught up,  left the area,  and was at
the end of it when a few minutes ago some more mail came in,  at which point
it was showing me 160 new messages,  also pointing at friday,  though I
couldn't say for sure if it was the same spot or not.

This is something else,  I think.  Something to do with nfs settings,
perhaps?