Buggy desktop icon and widget behavior (4 things)

ico at fuse.net ico at fuse.net
Thu Apr 22 00:11:17 BST 2004

Hi all!

I've had this problem for quite some time now
and was wondering whether this was a bug on my
system (MDK 10.0) or is this still the problem
with KDE. In the case of the latter, I would
love to hear when will it be fixed:

1) When having desktop icons and moving them
around their "selection frame" leaves trails
that cannot be erased. See:

http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/Kde/Desktop.jpg

They do eventually go away but are simply a
nuisance and deter the overall quality of KDE
experience.

2) The second problem is similar and occurs in
the KDE menu. When I open the KDE menu and then
cycle through various submenus, the main menu
leaves trails that do not get properly redrawn.
See:

http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/Linux/Desktop2.jpg

3) Is it possible to do away with the
Windows-like selection (Tab-focus) of the
desktop icons that use that ugly dotted frame
(that left the trail in the first screenshot)
and use something more like Gnome/OS X shaded
selection which looks so much nicer?

4) Finally, the icon moving is now more flexible
(it can be moved even for just a few pixels,
unlike before where you could not do that).
However, when "holding" the icon, it is
positioned completely differently than when
releasing it back onto the desktop which results
in having to compensate for this misalignment.

When replying to this e-mail, please CC: me at
ico_AT_Fuse_dot_net. Many thanks!

Best wishes,

Ico