KMail and Charset handling

Robin Rosenberg robin.rosenberg at dewire.com
Mon Apr 12 20:08:19 BST 2004

On Saturday 10 April 2004 00:35, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> I had to wipe out my RedHat 9 + KDE 3.1.4 installation and re-installed
> with Fedora Core 1 (with KDE 3.1.4). Gosh it was sooo nice to see my KDE
> environment come back just like it was before!
>
> BUT, now KMail does an odd thing. If I reply to a message using the toolbar
> icon, when I try to send the reply there's a dialog complaining that KMail
> can't find the right characterset and offers to send the reply without the
> quoted text or let me change the encoding. I have tried us-ascii, the
> Western iso- sets and the utf-8 sets and nothing works. HOWEVER, if I
> right-click on the sender address and reply, everything goes just fine.
> The only "fancy" character in my replies have been pound signs in the
> quoted text, and not all my failed replies have had them.

There's a list of character sets that KMail tries to use when sending mail
which are listed in the KMail settings. KMail encodes your mail with the
first character set that contains all characters in the mail.

Add UTF-8 there if you don't have it. I think it is there by default. I have
us-ascii , iso-latin-1 iso-latin-15 and utf-8 in that order.

-- robin