"Fixing" RedHat

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Sep 21 18:03:48 BST 2003

Matt WIlliams wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've read that RedHat ships a maimed version of KDE (and many other
> things). Today I downloaded 3.1.4 RPMs from a KDE mirror. After
> uninstalling three or four packages to get qt/qt-devel installed, I got
> the new KDE RPMs installed.
>
> When I go to Control Center and look at the version, it reports
> "3.1.4-0.9x.1 Red Hat". Doh! It doesn't look like it's all "fixed".
>
> Have I "fixed" KDE on RedHat? If not, I'm tempted to get my Slack CD
> back out and install from that... any recommendations on how to get KDE
> 3.1.4 binaries?

The RedHat distos (starting with 8.0) have mangled various other packages,
so you need a RedHat specific RPM set for it to work.

I don't know where the RPMs at:

	http://ftp.us.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.1.4/RedHat/9/i386/

come from.  But, you can also use the standard "unofficial" ones at:

	ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/9/RPMS.stable

These should basically be the same as if you built from source.

See:

	http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

--
JRT