Two weird font problems when printing in KDE

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Fri Sep 5 11:27:21 BST 2003

On Friday 05 Sep 2003 5:59 am, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> > Hi, I'm using KDE 3.1.3 (qt 3.1.2) on mandrake cooker. However, these
> > problems has always been with me back when I switched to linux completely
> > with mandrake 9.0.
> >
> > Problem 1)
> >
> > I'm using the microsoft TTF font Tahoma with freetype with full hinting
> > enabled. Tahoma looks fine onscreen, so this is not a freetype problem.
> >
> > However, if I use the Tahoma font in any KDE application... say I create
> > a file in kword with the string "this is a test", and print it, I end up
> > with a different font.
> >
> > I printed to a postscript file, and examined it. For some reason the font
> > is being changed to "LuxiSans" by KDE/Qt when I print it. Printed output
> > also has a different font substituted.
> >
> > This ONLY affects Tahoma, all other fonts are fine.
>
> Have you tried: "Courier New"?
>
> > It sounds like there is something hardcoded somewhere.
>
> You using Qt-3.1.2. So, this is NOT a hardcoded problem.
>
> > The creator of printed PS files is set to "Qt 3.1.2", so this is not a
> > ghostscript problem.
>
> You may if you built Qt from source, try my patch and see if it helps:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/files/qt-x11-free-3.1.2-PSfontname.patch.
>bz2
>
> and see if this fixes it since it works for me with the patch applied.
>
> There is also a possibility that it is Xft[2] or FreeType2.  Do you have
> the latest versions of both of these?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me, I'll try out your patch later and let you
know how it goes.

I'm using freetype2 2.1.4.

For the second problem. Yes, I AM using CUPS, and yes I AM using ghostscript
(its an HP Laserjet 6L via LPT) on the server.

Since you say embedding TTF fonts causes these problems, are you recommending
I have all the fonts stored in one place on NFS, accessible to all the
machines, including the print server? This isn't what I have at the moment,
but I'd been considering moving to something like that anyway.