using kplayer from konqueror

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Oct 30 00:30:27 GMT 2003

dcw wrote:
> Can someone point me to a howto or other documentation for the purpose
> of using kplayer from inside Konqueror. I do not know anything about
> setting this up. There are streaming media that I would like to be able
> to listen to but they are in Windows media format. From what I have
> read, kplayer is a front end to mplayer and mplayer is supposed to be
> able to play Windows media audio.

The process is the same for any application.

First you need to have a MIME type for that type of application.  But,
first proceed on the presumption that you have one.

Right click on the file's icon and choose: "Edit File Type".

Does the widget have the correct: "Filename Patterns" (the file extensions)
in the top window and a: "Description"?

Then due to a slight bug, you need to click the: "Add" button.  At the top
of the widget that pops up you should see the MIME type in bold type.
Click the: "Cancel" button.

If you have the correct MIME type, then if you don't have the correct
application at the top of the: "Application Preference Order" window, you
need to add it.

If you don't have the correct MIME type, then you need to add it.  In
Konqueror, choose: "Settings => Configure Konqueror".  Then select the:
"File Associations" section.

If you don't know the correct MIME type for a file, you probably have a
file: "/etc/mime.types" that might help.  If not, do a Google search for:

	MIME type <file extension>

After adding the new MIME type, select it and set the file extensions and
the application to use.

--
JRT