Adding applets / applications to System Tray

Adam Richard g4c9z at unb.ca
Sun Oct 26 02:20:30 GMT 2003

The System Tray is meant for small, background applications such as the internet
connection or a program to mount and unmount disks. The programs which have icons in
are currently running processes. Therefore, it wouldn't make sense to put a button
there which is a shortcut to start an application.

But what you have probably done is quit one of those applications and want it to be
running all the time. That means you'll have to find out how to start the application,
i.e. find out the name of its executable file (which is usually easy because the file
usually has the same name as the program; for example, KWrite is started with the
command "kwrite"). If you then start it, and the application is one which is meant to
go in the system tray, then it should appear there, and should stay there if you save
the desktop state between sessions.

To make sure a program starts when you start KDE, however, you can put a link to it in
your ~/.kde/Autostart directory. Any programs in there get started when you login.
Isn't that neat?