KDE and default enviroment , $KDEHOME ??

Izo I at siol.net
Wed Oct 15 12:54:13 BST 2003

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Izo wrote:
>
>> 1. KDE default enviroment setup
>>
>> Please, somebody, tell me where the KDE takes the default enviroment
>> when kdm is run and where when user logs in.
>>
>> Why the question ?
>>
>> I have installed the KDE-3.1.92 using Konstruct parallelly to default
>> kde, of course configured to different directory. Now I want to set
>> the default enviroment for the KDE-3.1.92 applications as QTDIR,
>> KDEDIR, PATH to both of new Qt, KDE, QTMKSPEC etc etc to not clash
>> the new apps with the default KDE ones.
>>
>> I have tried to set them prior to kdm start - no success - the
>> /etc/profile is used to define PATH afterwards
>> When using $HOME/.bashrc or $HOME/.profile it affects only Konsole /
>> xterm but not the KDE apps run from K-menu.
>>
>> It is just annoying since some apps really do clash with the old ones
>> and thus crash.
>>
> KDM sets the PATH.  You can configure this in:
>
>     $KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/kdmrc

Thanks. I've just remembered that I knew it a long time ago ... :-[

> What else happens is determined by your system's: "Xsession" script.
> This is often in: "/etc/X11/".  If this script is a login script then:
> "/etc/profile" & "~/.bash_profile" are run (or if you have no:
> "~/.bash_profile" then it will use: "~/.profile").
>

>> 2. $KDEHOME
>>
>> Another question - about the $HOME/.kde directory. I would really not
>> like to use the same for both default and new KDE but I would like to
>> use the same login user to work with either with default or new KDE.
>> I have changed the KDEHOME setup in the $KDEDIR/bin/startkde script
>> with no effect. How to do it properly ?
>

> Normally, this would go in: "~/.bash_profile".

As I understood from the scripts I know for, $KDEHOME should tell the
kdm / kde where to search for local-to-user .kde directory. Normally it
is $(HOME)/.kde. *But* in the $KDEDIR/bin/startkde script is stated that
this default could be overriden by setting the $KDEHOME variable and I
just did not know where should be this variable set - is it global for
all kdm / kde logins or should it be set in some of the scripts that are
stored in users $HOME directory. I still do not copy this from your
answer. If you know exact answer, please detail !

I am running the SuSE-8.1 box which appears not to have ~/.bash_profile,
but has ~/.profile (which is invoked at remote logins) and ~/.bashrc
(which appears to me as instead of the ~/.bash_profile and is invoked at
local konsole login).

Regards, Izo