How to add a menu item visible for ALL users?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Nov 28 21:12:06 GMT 2003

Mark Hellman wrote:
> I would like to install an application and add a shortcut to it on the KDE
> menu for *all users* to see. In our case, we have hundreds of users, so
> this cannot be done individually.
>
> And what about adding a shortcut to the Panel Menu for all users? How can
> this be done?
>
> I am using SuSE 9.0.

These are generic instructions.  I don't use SuSE and there might be something which is
SuSE specific that this doesn't cover.

The simple method is to add it as root and then move the 'desktop' file from:

	/root/.kde/share/applnk/<menu-heading>/

to:

	$KDEDIR/share/applnk/<menu-heading>/

You can also edit the global menu directly by opening a Konsole:

	su -
	$KDEHOME=$KDEDIR
	export $KDEHOME
	kmenuedit

at least that used to work.  I haven't done it recently.

NOTE: you must use: 'su -' for this to work.

--
JRT