downloading web pages made faster

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Nov 28 00:00:01 GMT 2003

dcw wrote:
> I saw an article several weeks ago about some software that would make downloading web
> pages faster. I did not bookmark the page and now I can not find it. Some of the things
> it did was to not display the background, ads, etc. I have Mandrake 9.1.
>
> Can someone point me to the right place?

I've seen lots of stuff about this.  But -- my $0.02 -- it is just stuff as far as *NIX is
concerned because the only way to download a web page faster with dial up is to have
someone compress it on the other end of you connection.

Since HTML is text, it *could* be compressed -- why it isn't is something I am at a loss
to understand.  Note that IIUC Linux already is able to decompress it.

--
JRT