Virus free desktop

Eugene Nine enine at ninefamily.com
Thu Nov 20 19:43:48 GMT 2003

Sorry for the top post and bad quoting, my web based mail provider uses a Windows based program (the spell check also crashes IE on the company provided laptop I'm using) :)

I see the potential for a macro to access the mail program/address book.  The last copmpany I was at had a third patty CRM Db system (Saleslogix) and used exchange/outlook for mail.  They had a nice automated system and used a plug in to the CRM to trigger a macro which would send a follow up e-mail through outlook.  I finally ended up being directed to remove the outlook "do you want to allow this program to send" due to user complaints that they kept having to OK that dialog too many times during a day.  I didn't want to disable it, but was overruled by a higher authority, but I think it illustrates a good use of a macro to let one program use your e-mail client for sending.  Sure there would have been a better way, the sales logix server should have had a hook minto exchange or its own mail server which I could control, but in the inflexable windows world we had to make due.  In the KDE system I think the pim program uses kmail to send meeting invites and such so it needs
 access to your address book to send those ical upadtes.
KDE has a DCOP server that is uses to communicate between processes, maybe create a sort of personla firewall for it.  I.e. when one process in KDE wants to access another for the first time you get prompted.  You then allow once or create a rule to allow this specific behavior.  This would work much like the personal firewalls commong in the Windows world where you get asked to allow app X yo communicate with address Y on port Z.