USB Problem.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Nov 18 07:02:18 GMT 2003

Tanmay Patel wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> My cell service provider gives internet service on my phone. I've
> Samsung Cellphone with USB cable ,It detects in 'kudzu' but can't detect
> by ' kppp. I'm using RH 8.0 linux.
>
>       How can i get internet access through my cellphone ?

I don't know if your phone will work.  For KPPP to use it, it would have to function the
same as a USB Modem.  If it will do that, what you need to do is make a link: /dev/modem
to the proper device for your phone.  Normally, this would be:

	ln -s /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 /dev/modem

Then tell KPPP to use: /dev/modem for the device.

I doubt that that will work.

OTOH, if the phone will function as a network node, you would need something that would
work with what ever network protocol it used.

I doubt that the phone would use SLIP unless it is Linux based so you can't treat it as
another computer.

Another possibility is that you could still use it as a tty (but not with PPP) if you knew
how to communicate with it.

--
JRT