To embed or not to embed

Shawn Willden shawn-kde at willden.org
Fri Nov 14 21:46:28 GMT 2003

On Friday 14 November 2003 12:08 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> There doesn't appear to be any way to do this with the GUI.  So, you
> have to edit the MIME type 'desktop' file.

Do you know what value one would put in the desktop file to get this
behavior?  I can't find anything.

After a great deal of experimentation, here's what I've found (I tested
application/x-zip, application/x-tgz and application/x-gzip and
application/x-tar):

1.  If ark_part is listed as the embedded viewer, it will be used
regardless of whether the file is local or remote and, indeed, regardless
of whether the "Left Click Action" is set to "Show file in embedded
viewer" or "Show file in separate viewer".

2.  If no embedded viewer is defined, the desired behavior is achieved:
Local files (file: protocol) are opened with zip: or tar: kioslaves
(that's how I understand it to work, I could most definitely be wrong).
If the file is remote (http: protocol), the user is prompted for a file
name.

3.  Setting "Ark" as an external viewer appears to have no effect
whatsoever.

4.  Other mimetypes behave similarly.  For example, I have image/jpeg set
to "Show file in separate viewer", and that viewer is gqview.  khtmlimage
is set as the embedded viewer.  http: URLs that link to a JPEG use
khtmlimage but file: URLs open with gqview.

I haven't found any way to get konqueror to prompt me.

Shawn.