Konqueror and Saving FIles

Harmen Schaap harmen.schaap at home.nl
Thu May 29 18:48:03 BST 2003

On Thursday 29 May 2003 18:43, Tom wrote:
> Harmen Schaap wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 May 2003 16:55, Tom wrote:
> >>I've used Netscape/Mozilla on the Mac for quite a while, since the Mac
> >>was by primary browsing machine. I've since considered having my Linux
> >>box play a more prominent role, and as such, I've begun using Konqueror.
> >>Generally, the developers have done some very good work here, but I've
> >>run into a problem that is making it somewhat of a pain. Both bzip2
> >>archives and tarballs are very common on the Linux platform, when I
> >>click on a download link, I'd like *more than anything else* to be able
> >>to, um, download the file. I don't want to extract it, I don't want to
> >>browse the contents of the archive. All I want to do is download the
> >>file *as is*- seems reasonable - click on a download link, and it
> >>downloads the file. Problem is, I can't figure out how to make this
> >>happen - the File Associations setting for the 'application' group says
> >>to 'Show file in separate viewer' (what ever that means), but oddly
> >>missing is a 'Save file to disk' option. Is there a way I can restore
> >>some sanity to this process by having it do what I expect it to do
> >>(download the file), rather than what it's doing now?
> >
> > Try "shift-click"
>
> Thanks for your response...this unfortunately does not work when dealing
> with a site like freshmeat.net, which redirects the download to a mirror
> site. That aside, this really should be the *default* behavior, since
> it's what I'd consider common and expected.

Okay, I just had a quick look. Do this:
in Konqueror:
- Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> File Associations
- Select Applications -> x-tgz
- Click Embedding Tab
- Remove the "Archiver" from the Services Preference Order

Do this for the other extensions too...

That should do the trick :-)))
--
Harmen Schaap