Quanta crashes on opening after eating all memory

Michael D Green linux at saesolved.com
Wed May 28 13:01:36 BST 2003

Hi!

I have Quanta 3.1 (using KDE 3.1.1) installed on two machines, a Toshiba
Satellite 1135-S155 notebook and a CPUBuilders CBS112L desktop. Both have in
excess of 0.5 GB RAM. The disto I am using on both machines is SuSE 8.2. And
the Quanta version is the version from that distro, updated only by any
updates supplied by SuSE as part of their automated updating system.

Quanta seems to work fine on the Toshiba. But when I try to open it on the
CPUBuilders machine it presents a window which is essentially the outer frame
only and appears to be infinitely long. (I.e., it goes off the bottom of the
screen. And any effort to shorten it fails.) Then after an interval it
crashes completely. The system monitor shows that during this process it
first eats up all RAM, then tries to eat up all swap before finally crashing.
[I suspect it is being killed by some system watchdog. Good dog! ;-) ]

Ideas?

TIA!

Mike Green