Font problem

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue May 27 20:36:25 BST 2003

liste at hgfelger.de wrote:

> Salut folks,
> after upgrading to KDE 3.1.2 I had a bad experience with some websites.
> But later on, I discovered, that it must be a font problem.
>
> For example http://www.linux.org.uk/cgi-bin/portaloo
> should show 6 newsticker-tables. I only see the black-heading-bars (and
> the graphics and the configuration links above the bar) and the
> dots, as well as I can select the links, but there is no writeing. Also
> the invisible fonts require lots of more space... I get a really big
> window (horizontal slider is visible, which is not normal, if the window
> has a reasonable size).
>
> So at first I downgraded to KDE 3.1.1, as before, but it did not help.
> Later I reinstalled KDE 3.1.2 and toggeled the font-antialising. When I
> first switched it off, it was cured, the next KDE session. So I switched
> it back on, to see, if this is the problem, but for the next 3 or 2
> KDE-sessions it work well. But then, without having changed anything, it
> broke again and there was no way back...
> If I select a font in the settings of konqueror/fonts there are fonts that
> are firstly not visible in the dropdown-menu. If I select them, the name
> then show up. Also with kcontrol/Appearance & themes/Fonts the dialog
> which is opend with "choose...", there are fonts, that dont display a
> preview. As Adobe Helvetica is one of them,

Is that Type 1 (PFA or PFB, & AFM), TrueType (TTF) or bit mapped (PCF
probably gzipped).

> quite some web-sites are affected by my problem.
>
> My System is a SuSE 8.1 based, KDE 3.1.2 (trigged by updating from 3.1.1,
> but not cured by re-downgrading to 3.1.1), P4-mobile-laptop.
> I downloaded RPMs.

Did you upgrade Qt and aRts as well?

> A related question. Each time I upgraded from 3.1 to 3.1.1 and form 3.1.1
> to 3.1.2 the console changed its fonts. Is this normal?

No, this isn't normal.

I can't make a specific diagnosis, but you are probably having
problems with Xft, FreeType2 and/or FontConfig.

Perhaps you need to upgrade these packages as well.

Also, you might have two versions of one, or more, of these packages
installed.  One in: "/usr/X11R6" and one in: "/usr/" or "/usr/local/".

If you have FontConfig, your: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" might be screwed up.

Do you have, or are you using, scalable fonts?  or just "*.pcf.qz" fonts?

--
JRT