Open Apps on a defined Desktop

David Goodenough david.goodenough at btconnect.com
Thu May 22 12:57:10 BST 2003

On Thursday 22 May 2003 12:03, you wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Anyone here who can tell me, if it is (and how..) possible to open an
> application on a defined Desktop??
>
> Im running KDE 3.1 with 6 virtual Desktops and I want to have Mail on
> Desktop 5, WWW on Desk 6 and so on....
> So I want my Browser to open on Desk 5 when click to the Icon, even if
> Im on Desk X....

I use a script like this:-

f#!/bin/sh
set -e

kcpuload&
kstart --desktop 5 konqueror http://linuxtoday.com
kstart --desktop 8 knode
kstart --desktop 7 kmail
kstart --desktop 6 /home/david/bin/notes

# should be wait for dcop to be available?
dcop kmail KMailIface checkMail

<<<<
but it does not quite work.  For some reason konqueror only very rarely
starts on desktop 5, it normally starts on the same desktop as I ran the
script from.  All other apps work well, but on neither kde 2.2 or 3.1
does konqueror normally honour the desktop number.

Hope this helps (and that one day konqueror will behave)

David