kde Digest, Vol 2, Issue 17

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu May 15 07:10:18 BST 2003

yo _ wrote:

> uh...very typical ones at first that didn't contain any fonts. I
> observed that when there were no valid font directories in fonts.conf,
> KDE applications would correctly use the font I selected in the control
> center. After entering a valid directory (such as the one where i
> installed "tahoma.ttf"), KDE applications refused to acknowledge Control
> Panel's settings, and began using the default (or way incorrect) fonts.

This doesn't sound quite right.  The first two directories in
font.conf should be:

	<dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
	<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>

On Linux, this should basically cover it since these directories are
searched recursively for any directories containing fonts.  You
shouldn't need to add the subdirectories of the above two directories.

I said these should be there since it screwed up royally last time I
upgraded and I had to edit it to get it back to the above.

--
JRT