Shutdown/Reboot from KDE

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed May 14 07:03:49 BST 2003

Marco Bandner wrote:
> Am Mon, 2003-05-12 um 14.28 schrieb Simon Hepburn:
>

>>Same again, you need kdm running for this to work. If you do in fact have kdm
>>running then perhaps you have encountered a problem specific to your distro.
>>What are you running?
>>

> I have running RH9 with grafical login (no entering startx). How can I
> check if kdm is running?

Does the login widget have the KDE logo?

RedHat has an unbelievably Byzantine system.  If you always want to
use KDM, you can short circuit this by editing the last line in:
/etc/inittab to:

x:5:once:/<full-path>/kdm -nodaemon

The <full-path> will depend on your distro but should be: $KDEDIR/bin
which on RedHat is usually: "/usr/bin" which would make it:

x:5:once:/usr/bin/kdm -nodaemon

Note that replacing: 'respawn' with 'once' may help with your other
problems.

Note that: "-nodaemon" is now deprecated but it wouldn't hurt to use
it or you can leave it out since it is now covered in the KDM resource
file.

--
JRT