Shutdown/Reboot from KDE

Simon Hepburn sth at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 12 13:28:14 BST 2003

Marco Bandner wrote:

> Am Mon, 2003-05-12 um 12.45 schrieb Simon Hepburn:
> > Marco Bandner wrote:
> > > Why I cannot reboot or shutdown from kde? Where do I have to look else?
> >
> > control center -> kde components -> session manager -> default action
> > after logout.
>
> If I set this option to reboot or shutdown, after logout the
> login-dialog appears again. After loging in, this option is _reset_ to
> 'login as other user'. Why ???

login-dialog? Are you starting kde from the console with startx, or do you
have kdm installed? You need kdm for this to work. Perhaps KDE is resetting
this option because kdm is not running? Make sure kdm is configured to allow
anybody to shutdown.

> > Or you can use ctrl-alt-pagedown to halt, I think ctrl-alt-pageup is
> > reboot.
>
> As I have read before, this should work. But it doesn't, too. All the
> same as root or user!

Same again, you need kdm running for this to work. If you do in fact have kdm
running then perhaps you have encountered a problem specific to your distro.
What are you running?

HTH

--
Simon Hepburn.