Cannot open modem device in Kandy

Jan Drugowitsch jdrugo at gmx.at
Sun May 4 18:20:58 BST 2003

I am trying for the first time to get Kandy running with my Nokia 8210 over a
serial cable at /dev/ttyS1. However, when I try to connect to the phone
(Modem -> Connect) I always get a 'Cannot open modem device /dev/ttyS1'
message. The mobile doesn't show any response at all. Is there any way to
test if there is even an existing connection between the phone and the
computer?

I have the necessary rights for /dev/ttyS1 to read and write and the phone
gives a 'Terminal connection interrupted' message if I interrupt a 'cat
/dev/ttyS1' (no output) with ^C. However, any 'echo "something here" >
/dev/ttyS1' doesn't show any reaction on the phone.

Any Advice?
Jan