Editing Wordwise files

Christopher Dawkins cchd at felsted.essex.sch.uk
Thu May 1 11:54:53 BST 2003

>> We are beginning to run short of good BBC keyboards, so I need an editor
>> to edit Wordwise files on KDE (or, indeed, on Windows)
>>
>> The problem is the line ending is CR, not LF or CRLF. Mac text files have
>> the same line endings
>>
>> Kwrite is the closest I find. It has an "End of line" setting, and that
>> works. BUT I see no way to hard-configure this. It needs to be set every
>> time you use Kwrite, indeed, on every document. Can someone help?
>
> Can I assume that a BBC keyboard is actually a BBC Micro computer which they
> used to use in UK schools, and that Wordwise is a wordprocessor which runs on
> it? Can I further assume that you want to get files created in Wordwise
> editable under KDE, and the only thing stopping you is the CR/LF issue?
>
> If all that's correct so far, does your question boil down to "how to I
> convert a text file with CR line endings into a text file with LF line
> endings"? If not, give us a bit more to go on!

I was maybe to brief to be clear. All correct, except "used to use" isn't
entirely correct here*. I therefore don't want to convert the source
files. They are currently accessed through three different items of
display software, which were written many years ago assuming the CR line
ending. So I don't want to convert the CR to LF. It would be tedious to
pre- or post-process the files with a "tr"  script. I need an editor which
will load and save files with the CR as the line ending. Kwrite will do
this, but refuses to be locked into CR mode. This is the problem.

  *if you do "View Source" on the link below, and similar ones, you will
   see that a BBC machine on Econet is currently and fully automatically
   creating HTML pages on the web:

    http://www.felsted.essex.sch.uk/weather/data/03/5/1.html

--
Christopher Dawkins, Felsted School, Dunmow, Essex  CM6 3JG
01371-822698, mobile 07816 821659    cchd at felsted.essex.sch.uk