Am I wasting my time with Red Hat?

Christian Herzyk christian at systrade.de
Fri Mar 21 14:58:25 GMT 2003

Hi,

> From: kde-admin at mail.kde.org [mailto:kde-admin at mail.kde.org]On Behalf Of
> Mick Szucs
>
> On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 07:49, gabriel wrote:
> > On March 21, 2003 06:42 am, Martin Thomas wrote:
> > > Am I being too harsh on Red Hat, or would it be better if I switched
> > > to a differant distro?
> >

> > yes
> > you're wasting your time
> >   (bring on the flames)
> > redhat has refused to keep its desktop software up to date
> > favouring in most cases gnome.  often, if you want a software
> upgrade, you
> > have to upgrade your entire distro... which often requires a
> complete wipe
> > and re-install.
>
> One thing I'm curious about, though.  There are certainly lots of
> reasons to not stick with Redhat.  The one that ultimately had me switch
> to Mandrake was their lack of support for and the damage that they did
> to KDE.  I wanted to be able to move forward with KDE releases as they
> came out, rather than wait the months and months that it seemed it would
> take Redhat to come out with binaries for the newest flavour of KDE.
>
> Today, however, there are KDE 3.1.1 binaries available for Redhat 8.0,
> and still no binaries for Mandrake 9?  What's up?

Well, some distris are faster some are slower, I think with 3.1 Mandrake was
rather quick to deliver the rpms.

To give my 2cents to this topic:
If you want to develop on and for KDE forget RH go with Mandrake or SuSE.
If you are familiar with Linux, and want to escape the rpm hell, either go
with Debian or have a look at Gentoo.

Regards

Christian