Can I run a second KDE session, as different user?

Steve King stevenking66 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 22:30:31 GMT 2003

On Monday 10 March 2003 9:49 pm, Tako Schotanus wrote:
> To give others access to my computer without logging out I have added a
> secondary login screen by adding the following line to the
> /etc/kde/kdm/Xservers file (if you use KDM, I think XDM and GDM use

<snip>

> All is not perfect because only one "screen" has access to the sound
> card for example, but it is the closest I've been able to get to the
> Windows Fast User Switching.

I didn't dare use the W-word, but that is where I had seen this kind of thing
before... Anyway I have tried your suggestion. It works fine except, as you
warned, only one "screen" has the sound card. Problem is, that is always the
root, not a real user. This is based on a very brief experiment, but seems to
not be influenced by which users I tried it with nor in what order. Perhaps
it is some way random, I am not sure. Do you know how to be certain that the
sound card at least works for the first "screen" to login? That would be fine
for practically all occasions (because there will usually only be the one
user).

Thanks

Steve