Can I run a second KDE seession, as different user?

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 21:38:28 GMT 2003

There is a way - but not quite as you described.

You can have multiple users on the same console. Each user can then start an
individual KDE session.

The system is this:

Hit Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get a text console.

log in the other user

Enter the command
startx -- :1

this will start a second kde session

to swap between sessions hit crtl-alt-f7 to get back to the first, and
ctrl-alt-f8 to get back to the second.

If this arrangement is satisfactory, you can alias startx to 'startx -- :1' in
the user's .bashrc file.

Sorry about the command line, but if you want to something exotic, command
line it has to be.  Try that trick with window$!!

Basil

On Monday 10 Mar 2003 21:27, Steve King wrote:
> Hello
>
> Is there a way to run KDE as a different user, overlayed on top of an
existing
> KDE session? In particular, rather than logging out of my account and then
> into root, it would be handy to run KDE as root in a window within my own
KDE